Search This Blog

14 November 2005

All I Want is a Gay Doctor

Not to date ...

Not to "play" with ...

Not to get prescriptions from ...

Just a gay doctor. One to whom I do not have to explain the intricacies of my lifestlye. One who knows what tests I should take and the mechanics of "the act" first hand. One who could give social and precautionary advice, while assuring me that at times I'm a hypochondriac.

I had a great doctor in DC, Dr. Schapiro. He was sympathetic, kind ... everything you could want in a physician, except he was straight. If I came to him though, and said, "Woops, I made a mistake last night" he knew how to treat me. But, if I came to him and said, "This feels funny after doing ___," I think he would have plotzed. Or just looked at me with bewilderment.

I don't know if he was quite aware of everything that I needed as a gay man. It sounds silly, but this is how I feel -- that a gay doctor, who goes through the same kind of escapades as I, would be more sensitive to my issues and know, better than I, what other things could be going on with my body.

No need to worry, I am in great health. I think I have swimmer's ear and eczema, but that's it.

The last Dr. I went to, in NYC, was straight and didn't even get through the physical because he was too busy giving allergy shots to his other patients. That pissed me off. Then when he and his nurses walked through the office calling out about the need for an HIV test in exam foom A, that was weird (it was my 6 month "time to check" test) as I've never had that done before (its usually been more private).

So I'm goin' gay this time, come hell or high water ... though you would think I would have an easier time finding a gay MD in NYC.

No comments: