Search This Blog

15 November 2005

SPOON RIVER ANTHOLOGY

Jen E-mailed me today, reminding me how blogging can keep us in touch with one another.

I thought I'd share:

In the acting studio of which I am a member, we are doing character work with E. L. Master's SPOON RIVER ANTHOLOGY ... which should send chills down every Maine South student's spine as we had to study SPOON RIVER with Mr. Drennan in the Chicago Culture section of American Literature.

The entire studio has gone through them (though some of the men get to do COMPANY K, a similar anthology comprised of letters home from men in WWII) and I have to say, while its like having to chew vitamins, they can be fun.

And nostalgic.

I keep thinking of the recording we listened to: a voice like that of Derek Jacobi's reading through "The Hill". Plus, I can't help but geek out when people ask "Where the hell is this place" --I can give them a very nice explaination.

I'm still trying to find the fun epitaphs, though -- there's only so much "death from drink" that one person can stand.

No comments: